Friday, April 23, 2010

Day 2

Strike Day 2: Capo attendance drops to 30% (OC Reg)

Capistrano Unified schools are refining their operations and adjusting their lesson plans for students on Day 2 of a teacher strike that has crippled many programs and pushed attendance rates below even Thursday’s levels.

Orange County teachers strike continues into second day [Updated] (LA Times)

More teachers joined the strike Friday morning compared with the first day, according to district spokeswoman Julie Hatchel. ¶ About 200 classroom teachers — 11% of the teachers — crossed picket lines to get to their classrooms, down from 12% Thursday. Nearly 600 substitute teachers were hired to supervise classrooms. ¶ Attendance in the 51,000-pupil district was down substantially on Friday. High school attendance was 10%, down from 23% on Thursday; middle school attendance was 27%, down from 39%; and elementary school attendance was 45%, down from 48%.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I noticed that there was a College wide email out about your office mate. And I noticed there is no mention in your blog. Blows your racist, rebel, conspiracy theory, huh? Had you bothered to check things out, you would have found that the college prez was out sick three days last week and was out sick this week. Sometimes there is nothing more to it. Playing the race card was an all time low. You may want to apologize.

Roy Bauer said...

11:43, as far as I know, no one suggested that racism was afoot. That never occurred to me. Hence, no one played the "race card." And, yes, I was aware that, starting last week, the President has been nursing an ear malady and has spent some days at home. I am also aware that he owns a phone, a device by which he can be contacted even when he is ill and not on campus.
Finally, if you were a careful reader, you would have noticed that I said that the failure to mention the Reb's achievements and activities is an old one, already established.
I in no sense "failed to check things out." I stand by my suggestion that ugly politics is afoot.
I did not mention the college-wide email because that email strikes me as "a day late and a dollar short," and I judged that it would be better to say nothing than to say that.

Anonymous said...

I noticed the college-wide email too and how it was lifted almost word-for-word from Dissent. I thought THAT was pretty funny. Also, I think that it is unlikely that Glen himself did the typing somehow -- is 11:43 PM suggesting otherwise?

Anonymous said...

Lazy readers often confuse or conflate commentators with Roy.

Anonymous said...

A lousy reader with a poisonous disposition: an ignorant and cranky--well--crank.

Get a nap, 11:43.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...