Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Wooden butter knifery


Annie picks up pieces of wood around the property and fashions them into knives and spoons and such. She showed up today with her latest effort.
"It's a butter knife," she declared.


I took these pics of the thing.
Do you think there's a market for such things? —For these carvings, I mean.


Every time I turn around, Annie's making something—yogurt, cheese, bread, furniture, paintings, drawings, and whatnot. One time, she painted a "bunny" that ended up on some stamp for the Cancer Society. No, maybe it was a goose. Some kinda goofy animal. Won a prize.


When she worked at the USGS, she drew in "Bauer's Canyon" on the map, right where my folks live here in the Santa Ana Mtns. It took. Now, all the maps show "Bauer's Canyon." Check it out.


Did I ever tell you about my bro Ray's invention for hang-glider pilots? No? It was a thing you dropped to determine the wind direction. After he died, these Europeans came around, trying to nail down the right to his invention or something. Don't know what ever happened to that. Doesn't much matter now.


9 comments:

Bohrstein said...

I dunno, I still like 'em. They were comfortable in the hand. My mother would love these things, she had a doo-dad kinda style about her too.

Me? I craft in other ways, I think.

My sister paints and bitches about life. The starving part is something she does willingly (detox anyone?).

Now, whether or not there is a market for the things... sure, there is always a market - whether or not it is sizeable or even directly accessible is the question. I think of my mother again: she didn't know how to use a computer, and did not trust infomercials, but watched a LOT of TV. Inaccessible in my opinion. Maybe if you could get one to one of her mormon friends or something.

Yeah, that's it, tell Annie to infiltrate a church, talk some nonsense about carpentry and Jesus, then let the awesomeness spread by word of mouth.

Thinks it shouldn't be too hard for a fancy butterknife to spread out amongst the people BS

Anonymous said...

I have a bowl made of pepper tree wood, and I love it. Not just for the bowl but because it's the wood of these trees that are everywhere here. The value of Annie's butter knife could be the local wood, as well as the lovely lines.

Roy Bauer said...

You should see all the gizmos she's made over the years--and the wooden utensils of the last month or so. I think they're great, but marketing them strikes me as a nightmare. ¶ Glad to find that you are among the living, BS. I thought you had deserted us! How've you been?

Bohrstein said...

I was feeling disappointed and unmotivated for awhile. I think my batteries are recharged again though.

Bring on the world? Nay, bring me bits and pieces and then, in time, the world will be mine.

Okay, I am not really planning world domination, but I was in need of this lesson about 3-4 months ago.

And you?

Previews his post until he sees a word he would like to type in the word verification box BS

Roy Bauer said...

Rebel Girl agitated in favor of the word verification filter. I don't like it, but we were getting two or three shitty spams a day, and they were a drag to deal with. The only alternative was even further from freedom and spontaneity, so I guess this will have to do. I dunno but you seem to be the type who should beware of solitariness. You need to be solitary, I know, but there's such a thing as too much of that. Hell, I'll hang out with you, if you need a sympathetic ear. Of course, I've been dead for nearly 40 years, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Bohrstein said...

It isn't too bad, I didn't mean for my comment to be a complaint.

I sometimes intend to bug you during the weeks but get distracted somewhere along the lines. I'll make an effort! Could use some more of that excellent beer.

The BeeEss.

Anonymous said...

I think the butter knife is gorgeous. Your family is crazy talented - what happened to you?
Just kidding!!
ES

Anonymous said...

Throw those carvings up on Etsy! I bet they will sell like hotcakes.

Anonymous said...

I agree! I was thinking maybe Ebay, but Etsy is better for these.
ES

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...