Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Inspirational graphics for a Tuesday evening


Bob says that IVC is the best educational bargain around. Hence the new sign.
I think he shoulda waited for board approval though.




Just having a little fun with one of our trustees, the irrepressible Tom Fuentes, former head of the OC GOP. He's very staunch. Find 'im at the Balboa Bay Club, smoking cigars.



1990: Humanities was all set to get the next shiny new building—this one here. Then Mathur blackballed us, so we got skipped over a few times. But it's OK; we're set to get our own trailer village in 2015.




Everybody thinks I make this sh*t up. Nope, I got this graphic from the Irvine Ranch Water District site. Whatever you do, don't lick the ground. And try not to breathe.




This was an actual page from the OC Register (though I magnified the article at right). Rats, rat bastards, and ukuleles all on the same page. Gotta love the OC.




Two or three years ago, one of our college PR people dropped by with an idea: a campus book burning! "No," said Rebel Girl. "Not a good idea." He couldn't understand what the problem was. 
I fashioned this nifty poster.  See Hey, kids! Let's put on a book burning!


Clearly, Tom was born thirty years too late. Bourbon and cigars.



Just a tiny flower, here at my place, yesterday morning.


9 comments:

13 Stoploss said...

are you serious about the book burning?

Roy Bauer said...

'Fraid so. He really wanted to do it. I think he thought that, since we're way past that sort of thing now, it would be, I dunno, fun, I guess. Last week, one of OC's right-wing regulars (a former board member) asked that Maya Angelou's book be banned. Happens all the time in the OC.

13 Stoploss said...

You know, when I was in the Army, I failed to convince people that "the OC" was this way. No one believed me. I was persecuted for being the Californian they thought I was, but they didn't realize the county I came from was just like them, and in fact, I was different from. That barely almost not really makes sense, but it means that I didn't want to be associated with what they thought I was; I tried telling them how it really was; they didn't believe me, and I'm somewhere in between. Yeah.

Rebel Girl said...

The best thing about the proposed book burning was that the guy came to me - ME - to see if I could help him. He thought that I'd like to ARRANGE the whole thing and strike the match.

At first I thought someone had put him up to it or that there was a hidden camera or something. But NO. He meant it.

That tells you a lot. Too much perhaps.

Anonymous said...

You're just kidding about the trailers, right?

Bohrstein said...

Is this Mickey character a counselor at IVC? One in particular fits the description pretty well, and this person once told me that Roy n Reb were "swell folk."

But they said it with a minuscule amount of hesitance, as though (maybe?) they had been scratched by you guys.

Also, very nice flower pictures Roy.

a mentally fatigued BS

Roy Bauer said...

Mickey? Did I take down one of my Disney posters?

Bohrstein said...

Roy has Disney posters? Any Goofy posters? He is my favorite Disney character.

Not Disney related, I was referring to the character, Reb called this person Mickey, in the "Hey kids pets put on a book burning!"

I also think it is funny that 13 did the "Are you serious?" comment, which is also asked in the comments of that very same article!

BS

Anonymous said...

BS, I finally figured out who you were referring to with "Mickey" and have been meaning to get back to you. No, this person is not a counselor. Very nice guy who promotes the foundation.
Years ago, I adapted some classic disney posters to the blog, and, yes, Goofy figured into some of them. I'll post 'em when I get to it. -R

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...