Sunday, September 27, 2009

The consolation of cats



TigerAnn late this morning. She insisted on visiting. Then she insisted on going outside, where she hunted flying insects and lizards. I let that go on for a while.



TigerAnn is sitting nearly on my keyboard even as I type. She thinks she can wear me down. Not so. She can be bold. Occasionally, she places her paw upon my keyboard, wreaking digital havoc.


Max, nearly two years ago. He is now an adult and he's taken an interest in biology.



Max again. A close friend of Curious George, I'm told.

The title of this post is an allusion to Boethius' The Consolation of Philosophy





I really like the Glenn Beck impersonation. And Keith Morrison. Whoa!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOvely cats!

Anonymous said...

I loved the Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius and Capalanous (sp?) The Art of Courtly Love. Both college reads in the Catholic College I attended outside of Chicago.

I am, sadly, not fond of cats: they kick up allergies of a most unforgiving kind.

Anonymous said...

Hey, 6:38; just so you know: there are excellent meds for allergies. I live with 5 cats and 3 dogs, and am allergic to both. No problems. I'm always puzzled when people act as if allergies are untreatable. My doc assures me that Allegra has never been shown to have any scary side-effects. Also, there are plenty of over-the-counter meds that work wonders.

Just sayin.... 'cause you don't know what you're missing!

Bohrstein said...

Max is a bright looking little guy. Makes me miss my old feline friends.

The consolation bit looks interesting, I will have to read about it tonight when I get home.

I know I tend to find philosophy rather consoling.

AOR said...

Boethius, once Master of Offices for Emperor Theodoric, spent his prison time writing The Consolation of Philosophy while contemplating the ruin of his entire family and his own looming execution on false charges. Where are our alleged wrongdoers? On Dancing With the Stars.

I wanna be a Roman.

Anonymous said...

The Hammer has not gone to trial yet. He may end up dancing elsewhere in the end. I sure hope so. I'm not holding my breath. Kant believed in an afterlife exactly because it was necessary for justice. It sure ain't happening here.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...