Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Overcoming sheer ugliness and total ergonomic perversity

NOT LONG AGO, the Reb and other members of Irvine Valley College's League of Obdurate Peevitude (LOOP) noted that, though our campus is looking wondrously spiffulescent these days, the major exception, superficially, is the butt-ugly dandelion zone just outside our own building—A200, the home of Humanities and Languages faculty, among others.

We squawked about it. Remember?

Conspiracy fans will recall that H&L faculty have been at the forefront of criticism/protest of our rotten Chancellor (Raghu P. Mathur) and the clueless, right-wing trustees who support him (including recent Grand Jury poster boy John Williams and Tom "inexplicable liver recipient" Fuentes).

Some prominent Mathur/board critics are of the Social and Behavioral Sciences, and much of that school, too, is kept in sorry old, penicillin-producing, A200.

Well, as it turns out, as we squawked, administration was planning to remedy the situation, 'cause, the next day, our Corner of Crumminess turned into a veritable Garden of Eden. Teams of workers, working around the clock, carried in hundreds of rectangular chunks of turf and just plunked 'em into place like tiles on the Space Shuttle. They straightened out and polished that scrawny Twig-o-Tree, too. See the pic above.

They did a good job on that turf. Can't see the seams. The lawn is practically natural.

Heck, the last time I checked (yesterday), students were sittin' in the grass, discussing philosophy, grimacing into the sun, smoking doob, and so on. Well, not smoking doob, but they seemed to be way mellow and they sure did like that grass.

OK, they weren't talkin' philosophy either. But they were talking.

I ran into my dean and she reminded me that our Library is another area of our fine campus that looks positively splendiferous. It looks best on the inside, we noted.

Inspired, I went into the Library and took some pics.

I never noticed before, but, in our Library, they've even got a sled so students (well, one student) can slide down the stairs to the ground floor in the case of a snow storm or something. Gosh, they think of everything.

Did you know that there's a "Freedom Shrine" on the top floor of the Library? I think they've pinned up some old OC Register articles about french fries and water-boarding. Very staunch.

The library is teeming with manifest (yet oddly unnoticed) UFOs, ever-hovering above iPod-encrusted studentry and drowsy Pecksniffian librarians.

Got clocks, windows. Nice view. I like the chairs.

Check this out. Going up the stairs is like taxiing down an aircraft carrier runway in an F-22 Raptor. Modern! Reckless! Delightful!

Very brick-and-mortery. Hey, if you don't actually talk to the students, the Library will make you think that IVC is the "Harvard of the West"!

—I kid. Many of our students are very bright. We do have some knuckleheads, but they don't hang out in the library. I think they're in student government or the Honor Society. That's just a guess, based on personal observation.

A REMAINING ZONE OF SHITITUDE

Gotta say, though, that, just across the sidewalk from our new Garden Zone is a remaining sector of abject shititude. Follow the arrow above.

Luckily, it looks like that's now getting a nifty makeover too. That's 'cause they're rapidly redoing building A300, which in some sense comprises the above-mentioned Sector of Weedery.

You know A300. It is legendary. More than ten years ago, one of Mathur's favorite hires (a notoriously inept and unprincipled dean whose trail of devastation, inappropriate touching, and failed pipe-dreamery occasioned construction of our famous "Faculty Mental Health Center" with its innovative "Narcissism Clinic") decided to turn A300 inside out. (That's how the Reb always puts it.) His loopy innovations utterly destroyed the place. Recently, its sheer ugliness and total ergonomic perversity led to abandonment and condemnation. Dogs wouldn't even pee on it. Rats eschewed it.

Yeah, but now they're totally revamping the interior! I snuck in there yesterday and took these snaps:

More alien craft and landing modules, but that's cool. Do we get to keep the little black cart?

Very spacey. The angles point to the exit, into the light, beyond IVC.

I like the blue pillar, which reminds one of the monolith in 2001 a Space Odyssey. Cool. Forbidding! Sublime!

No doubt somebody thinks these wavy wall elements improve the acoustics. What's that you said? I can't freakin' hear you.

TIMES ARE BAD, BUT THEY LOOK GOOD

I noticed some students sketching the Performing Arts Center or maybe the Beefsteak Bldg. (See below.) They were sprawling happily across the new Garden Spot and Live Modeling venue.


One student, upon confronting the wonder that is now IVC, seemed discombobulated by the excessive beauty and excellence.

I know how she feels.

Well, that's it. Things are looking up. And it's summer, too.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well, then I contradict myself.
I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

OC Preacher prays for Obama’s death
Rev. Wiley Drake prays for Obama’s death (OC Weekly)
Somehow, we here at Weekly HQ missed that the Rev. Wiley Drake of First Southern Baptist Church in Buena Park not only declared last week that the murder of Kansas abortion Dr. George Tiller had been the answer to his "imprecatory" prayers, but that the so-called Man of God later announced he'd made a similar prayer of death for President Barack Obama....

Hear it for yourself:

7 comments:

Bohrstein said...

Aw man, now IM reeling.

I know how you feel though, IVC is a gorgeous looking school. There is the essence of sophistication until you either: start talking to a student, or overhear a conversation. A lot of the students planning for a big future (say, at a UC) like to pretend that this all goes away when they get to University. "Universities are prestigious," they say. "Universisites have prestigious images," I stress.

I'm hoping for some tasty undergraduate research.

feeling lonely today; feels the void with dissent, BS

Roy Bauer said...

Feels the void or fills the void? "Feels" is innovative, yet opaque. I'm glad that the blog can feel and/or fill voids, even if only BS voids (I kid). I find that the infernal music that won't stop fills the void. I do the feeling.

Bohrstein said...

Whoops, the word there was "fills." Oddly (or not, since I abuse it endlessly), my brain has taken a trip elsewhere for the day. Probably the excessive sitting I've done. I think I'll walk to the store and buy some Fig Newtons.

is micro-blogging in his comments; learned that void is also a verb. A potentially - very - dirty verb., BS

Anonymous said...

You did not just learn that, surely! :)

ES

Anonymous said...

I'm diggin' on your music right now - very eclectic collection. Love this new playlist feature.
ES

Roy Bauer said...

I'm glad, ES. I don't get much feedback, you know. Everybody seems to think that I am fully aware of the degree to which this blog is appreciated (or disliked), but nothing could be further from the truth. I ain't got a clue, except for the sheer numbers of readers and the warm remarks of some regulars. You should know that my tastes include "wilder" stuff, some of which is represented here, but I didn't want to scare people away. So, though I do have "New Rose" and a few other slaps to the face, I've largely concentrated on mellow stuff. Also, "playlist" has what it has, and sometimes great stuff (e.g., most of Van Morrison's catalog and lots of obscure tunes by great one-hit wonders) is unavailable.

Anonymous said...

Roy, thank you for posting pictures of the IVC Library. Please do it again in the fall:-) We need some good publicity.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...