Monday, March 2, 2009

Idiot nation: carnival & spectacle & overkill

The OC Reg reports (Mayor who sent watermelon e-mail quits council, too) that Los Alamitos Mayor Dean Grose, who recently resigned over his unfortunate "watermelon" email, has decided to bail on his city council seat too.
"For the love of my community, and the health and well-being of my family, I am submitting my resignation as a Council Member," Grose said in a succinct statement to his council colleagues and Los Alamitos' city manager.

Supervisor John Moorlach expressed regret about Grose’s decision: "…I don't see a pattern and would not have called for his resignation from his council seat,” said Moorlach. Moorlach wished him well. 

Good for Moorlach.

The Los Alamitos city council meets tonight, and cops are being brought in for crowd control. Will Al Sharpton show up to speak as rumored? God, I hope not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good for Los Al that he resigned -- stepping down from the formal role of Mayor wasn't enough. As a councilman he represented the city in a number of ways, and he was making the city look like a shelter for wayward Klan wannabes.

I've been reading the comments on the stories regarding Watermelon Mayor on the Register's web site. Not pretty, and not reflecting at all well on Los Al.

BTW, I really like the picture of your rug. You have great taste in furnishings. Love the Mission style.

Anonymous said...

Yes, most of my furnishings (in the photo) were made by Amish people somewhere--maybe in Indiana. Extremely well made. And, yes, that particular style is wonderful. I appreciate many of the styles throughout the late 19th and early 20th Centuries here in the U.S. I thought the rug might be too dark, but we'll see. --RB

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...