Monday, January 19, 2009

The Inauguration as festivity—one party too many


There can be no doubt that tomorrow’s Inauguration is an important historical event, a massive shift in leadership at a very difficult time. In the last four months, I have occasionally suggested to my students that we’re living through history—not only because of the election—and we may as well be conscious of that.

"Pay attention," I tell them.

But it seems that tomorrow’s Inauguration is viewed by many as essentially a celebration of an achievement, a victory. In a way, it is, but in important ways, it is, or it should be, a time for sobriety, not festivity, for the real battle is still to come.

With regard to the Inauguration-as-festivity: I do think it's one party too many. We've been partying (in some sense) since early November. Meanwhile, things are going from bad to worse, at least with regard to the economy, while President Moron sits on his hands and spins revisionist tales about his eight years of incompetence and contempt.



I feel bad for Prez-elect Obama. My guess is that the last thing he needs or wants is another "celebration" over his victory. I suppose there was no stopping it. But that is unfortunate, for the tasks before him (for us) are spectacularly difficult, even with the leadership of so seemingly talented and wise a man.



I dunno, but it seems to me that, when a guy is given a grave and nearly impossible task, you join him in worry and hope—and in hunkering down for uncertainty and sacrifice.

You don't celebrate. Or you do, but you do it quietly, reverentially, like confident soldiers with improved leadership, knowing the battle has finally come to them, and they are hopeful that they will rise to the occasion.

(Graphic: adaptation of a Mike Luckovich cartoon.)

Sarah, yesterday.

Adam, yesterday.

The sky, early this morning.

A great under-appreciated band:

The Bottle Rockets:
"I'll be Comin' Around"


6 comments:

Roy Bauer said...

I was compelled to delete a racist comment.
Evidently, some Americans do not perceive Obama's intelligence.
I hate to think what really goes on in their heads.

Anonymous said...

While I agree the many parties might be a bit much but they are needed for many people who have worked so hard to get Obama elected. This is a time celebration. The GOP has left this country in terrible shape. They are completly out of touch with the needs of our country. I hope they can get past their ego's and be part of the solution and not continue to be the problem. I know you righties might not like to hear this but the American people have spoken. As Obama said in a speech "ENOUGH"

Roy Bauer said...

Dude, I'm no "righty." Not the kind you mean, anyway.
Did you actually read what I said? Doubt it.

Anonymous said...

I think Obama is hitting that note of thoughtful sobriety every time he speaks Chunk (did you hear his peech yesterday?)- he's aware of what's ahead and he's reminding people of it.

At the same time, what's going on is simply part of the ritual - exaggerated perhaps because of what we've been through. But ritual is hard to stop.

The energy that is expended at it can be directed though - I hope that happens. Many people are participating in service projects today, even in Orange County - food bank, homeless shelters, park clean-ups - I expect some of these people will party tomorrow. I think that's fine.

me, i don't

Anonymous said...

I meant to finish the aabove.

me, I don't begrudge people - especially those who have have worked so hard - celebration.

I didn't wrok as hard as I could. Most of us just voted and that's it.

Roy Bauer said...

3:24, if I was criticizing anyone, it was not the President Elect. Yes, he does hit the right note. My remarks concerned the Inauguration. And not just the Inauguration, but the sense of "celebration" that seems to have become its dominant feature in the minds of many.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...