Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Here's what you get for your $300,000


I managed to snag a copy of an email sent yesterday by Chancellor Mathur to the membership of the “District Leadership Council,” which comprises all administrators and classified managers.

What a chirpy crew that must be. (It's no secret: they fear and loathe their "leader." That's why I've got the email.)

Mathur was reminding everyone about Thursday’s DLC “retreat.”

Our Chancellor has a real weakness for New Agey bunk and educationist twaddle. (Mathur’s education degree came out of a Cracker Jack box, namely, Nova Southeastern University, academically the very lowest of the low.) And so recipients of Mathur’s email are told to “Bring with you a one-sentence leadership quote that has meant a lot to you.”

Evidently, in Mathur’s mind, wisdom is expressible in a “quote,” i.e., a sound bite.

No it isn't.

The ever-helpful Mathur then explains that this kind of “quote” would be “key leadership guidance” that a mentor might give to a newbie. He offers an example: “The first task of a leader is to keep hope alive.”

Keep hope alive. What a f*cking idiot. This man makes $300,000 a year, and all he can come up with is a hackneyed political slogan. (No doubt Mathur got this nugget from management writer Joe Batton. Perhaps he is unaware that, thanks to Jesse Jackson, the phrase "keep hope alive" is just another overly-familiar catchphrase.)

Finding a leadership quote is just the first part of Thursday’s exercise. The “second part of our exercise,” he explains, “will be to transform the top 10 quotes into ‘I will’ statements.”

‘I will’ statements. I swear this man has sh*t for brains.

Mathur offers an example: “I will strive to instill hope.” So, I guess the idea is that hope is good, and so, if you stick “I will strive to instill” in front of that, you get this fabulous chunk of educationist "science." Are you not dazzled?

What is the matter with these people? Obviously, hopelessness is an unproductive and unpleasant state for employees to be in. I mean, c’mon. Why say that in terms of the architectonic-water of “leadership quotes,” “leadership guidance,” and “I will” statements? 

And “hope” isn’t even the right concept here. Hope is something a country has when the Nazis are invading it or prisoners have when the Bush administration has 'em in Gitmo. The denizens of English departments and maintenance yards don’t need hope. They just want to know that the college—or the dean or the President—has a decent plan.

Essentially, Mathur is the merest of politicians. He has nothing to say. He understands nothing. He offers slogans and flag pins.


It gets worse. In the email, Mathur next informs these “leaders” (wrong word again) that the top ten “I will” statements “will be used by all management throughout the year.”

Wow, that's quite a plan. 

I’ve got a few “I will” statements for the Chancellor. How about

I will leave people alone to do their jobs.
I will treat people honestly and honorably.
I will cease ruling with fear and treachery.


and last of all

I will try each day to have just one good thought expressed in one clear sentence.

* * * * *

See also "CIVILITY" & RAGHU'S TOUCHY-FEELY SIDE—where we learn that, at IVC, Mathur once distributed a list of ways to “appreciate yourself and others,” which included:
• Keep track of your achievements in a “win” journal.

• Give yourself one compliment per day.

• Have a “Brag Buddy” to share successes with.

• Say to yourself at least ten times per day, “I love myself” or “I like myself.”

Make a photo copy of the palm of your hand and give yourself a “pat on the back."
—$300 freakin' thousand dollars a year for "Doctor" Raghu P. Sh*t-for-Brains. Think of it!?

Thank you, Tom and Dave and Don and John. On behalf of all the lovely "taxpayers" out there in the dark, I thank you!

The ending of "Sunset Boulevard"


FOR CAT LOVERS. Steve just sent me this URL for a video. If you love cats, you'll love this:

Cats on a treadmill

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

He didn't really say that you should photocopy your hand and then stick it on your back!

Did he?

torabora said...

For His Esteemed One's quote bag:
"Stupid is as stupid does"!

Bohrstein said...

Oh my gosh, I'm over here in tears laughing my ass off. Between the post here (Raghu's 'leadership' quotes), and CP ("'WHAT DUH FUK!';
Ok, Ok. That sounds pretty good I guess.") and those cats. Too much!

Okay, it's also 4:20 am - Hey, it's finals week for us summer schoolians; students gotta do.

Roy Bauer said...

"Summer schoolians": that's very good, Bohrstein.

Anonymous said...

"Fuck you, I'm in charge."

Gets to the point.

Roy Bauer said...

10:32, indeed it does, as does Mathur's suggestion that we "Make a photo copy of the palm of your hand and give yourself a 'pat on the back.'"

It makes the point that the speaker is an idiot.

Anonymous said...

I will fuck you up if you try to make us go to one more of your ignorant DLC meetings!

Incidentally, Chunkster. I fear no man. Most Neanderthals feel this way. Only spineless liberal dorks who would be hard pressed to make a buck in the real world fear Mathur. The few of us who don't simply ignore his stupid ass.

Anonymous said...

Raghu once told me that god had made me president of the college and that he was doing God's work.

Sort of hard to argue with him after that.

Jeesh.

Anonymous said...

Gee, from Goo's response it sounds more like, "I'm good enough. I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me!" Well, not really Goo, but if this is what you tell yourself then you are the only person who does...like you that is.

Anonymous said...

Well, I take that back. Goo's got his board buddies, and others who placate him from the mental institute. I can't help it, when I read this I swore to God that this man clearly has some mental issues that he hasn't dealt with like complete narcissism. IMO the really sad part is that he is getting $300,000 to espouse his arrogant crap. I'm all for positive thinking, but he has not exactly fostered this sort of atmosphere. In fact it seems to be worse thanks to him & Fuentes.

AOR said...

Thank you sooooo much for the cats on the treadmill. I laughed so hard that my cat woke up (and jumped off my lap in irritation).

So now I'm going to pick her up and put her on the copy machine; then I can have a copy of my cat to sit with me all the time. Thank you, Raghu!

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...