Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thank God for Don Wagner

.....One of our readers wrote us about the recent Saddleback College scholarship event, suggesting (as others have) that, at the event (we were not present), board president Don Wagner made a political speech about prayer and that some donors were offended. That he made such a speech is clear from the video. Don't know about donors' reactions.
.....But the reader also claims that, at Tuesday's board meeting, during her report, Trustee Nancy Padberg described Wagner's scholarship speech as "political" and suggested that he should apologize for it.
.....Really? No need to wonder. All we have to do is wait for the video of Tuesday's board meeting (not yet available) to be posted at the district website. Then we'll know what Nancy said.
.....But is it true, as some have suggested, that some donors were offended by Don's remarks? Think I'll go back and listen carefully to what Don actually said. (See below.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waaa waaa waaa - someone said a prayer - I'm sooooo offended.

So, take your precious donation and go fuck youself!

Anonymous said...

5:57- Do you pray using the f-word? Why do I think this post was written by Don Wagner? It has his whiny tone down to a "t."

Chunk, are you kidding in your second to last sentence? Many donors were offended. From the looks of the crowd, most people in attendance were offended. And I don't think that Don Wagner received the chorus of "amens" he expected.

Anonymous said...

Just checking - this is a public institution right? an invocation is one thing, but to insult people with such a negative and condescending tone is unacceptable - this is a public institution being supported by public dollars - and that should not be based on religion - especially one person's religion. wow.

Anonymous said...

I think Don W. won't be going any farther than this - which is a good thing except for the fact that we're stuck with him.

Such shiny arrogance.

torabora said...

Wagner is all about.....well, Wagner.

Not God.

It's not gonna go well for him at those Pearly Gates ;).

And so it goes.

Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone should be upset with 5:57 for his language. He was only quoting the Vice President, after all.

Anonymous said...

How about a Satanic prayer; let's get Wagner offended. See how he likes it.

Anonymous said...

I have nothing against prayer. I am for prayers. But that was not a prayer. That was making us stand up to listen to Don Wagner's Pontification!
I will continue supporting the students with my donation but this politician with illusion of grandeur needs to leave the prayer to someone else.

Roy Bauer said...

7:45, I was attempting to lure people into watching the video: "Gosh, what did he say, anyway?"

Anonymous said...

Hey! I don't know if I could sit through another minute of watching any more of Wagner's personal "Jesus loves me yes I know because Trustee Wagner told me so" lovefests w/o heaving whatever I had for both lunch & dinner. Never thought I'd agree w/Ms. Padberg, but lately I'm finding myself in agreement w/a couple things she's said, including this.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...