Friday, March 28, 2008

Public Defender

~
This obituary ran in the Thursday March 27, 2008 edition of the Daily Journal, the legal newspaper.

Deputy PD Was a Progressive Advocate
Eric J. Zucker 1959-2008


By Ryan Oliver
Daily Journal Staff Writer


.....
LOS ANGELES - Eric J. Zucker, a veteran Los Angeles County deputy public defender and progressive political advocate, died Monday after a 16-month battle with brain cancer. He was 48.
.....Zucker's last assignment was as a deputy public defender in the office's Public Integrity Assurance Section, which is responsible for defending cases in which police misconduct is suspected and for reviewing post-conviction cases with potentially exonerating DNA evidence.
....."He was the quintessential public defender," Marie Girolamo, deputy in charge of the unit, said of Zucker. "He really was a true believer. He believed in what he did."
.....Zucker previously served as deputy in charge of the office's Eastlake juvenile branch. He considered Homeboy Industries founder Father Gregory Boyle and Eastlake Juvenile Hall chaplain Sister Janet Harris to be among his mentors.
.....He joined the public defender's office in 1990 after graduating from Hofstra University School of Law. He was a staunch opponent of the state's three-strikes law and testified against it before the California Senate after he saw one of his clients sentenced to 25-years-to-life for joyriding.
.....In his latest assignment, Zucker was deeply involved in advocating on behalf of women serving life sentences who were unable to present evidence at trial that they had been battered.
....."He was one of the most energetic, positive-minded people I've ever known," Girolamo said. "Anybody who spent any time with him would immediately like him."
.....A Los Angeles native, born Aug. 10, 1959, Zucker inherited strong progressive values from his parents, Betty and Max Zucker, who were survivors of the Holocaust. Zucker attended anti-war demonstrations as a child and was involved in a number of political and minority organizations while a student at the University of California and in law school.
....."He was one of the most generous people on Earth," said Zucker's friend, Pasadena attorney Ron Kaye. "He supported the rights of immigrants to juveniles to people with disabilities." Kaye said Zucker was able to use his compassion for people in the courtroom by bringing his clients' stories to life for the jury.
.....Zucker is survived by his wife, Donna Herlihy, and their three children.

17 comments:

Leightongirl said...

Thank you for posting this. Very very sad. Thinking of you.

Rebel Girl said...

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

We should all be so lucky to be able to believe in what we do. Thanks, Reb, and I am sorry for your personal loss of a friend.

Clementina said...

There are people that you know for only a short while, but they leave an indelible mark--Eric Zucker was one of those. I did not know him as a man, but I knew him when we were on the threshold of adulthood, and although we never met again, it is a wonderful thing to know that his life was rich, his heart was large, and that his life was full of purpose and meaning. May he rest until we meet again one day.
Descansa, amigo.

Max Zucker said...

Not sure if anyone will see this, but Erik Zucker was my dad and he died when I was seven. I don't remember or know much about him so I can't explain how much this means to me to be able to read this. Thank you Rebel this is priceless.

Rebel Girl said...

Hey Max Zucker! Rebel Girl here. Your father was one amazing fellow and he loved you so much. My husband (Andrew) knew him for years and years. They met when they were young college kids like you are now. We will have to get together sometime and trade stories...Your mother knows how to reach us. take care!

Rebel Girl said...

Hey Max Zucker! Here is another piece I wrote about your father:


https://dissenttheblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/saturday-saints-and-stars-and-defenders.html

Rebel Girl said...

And max - one more thing. It means a lot to me to hear from you, so much. Thanks to finding this and writing back. I loved your dad so.

Max Zucker said...

Hi Rebel!
Thank you so much for the second link. Anything like this means everything to me and I would love to exchange stories I will always want to hear more about him. I knew little about what he did as a lawyer and this brought me a great deal of pride. Thank you endlessly!

Rebel Girl said...

Hi Max! There is lots to take pride in with your father. You also need to talk to my husband who took a trip with him to Boulder, Colorado for a conference honoring Jack Kerouac. Lots of stories! I think you are at Santa Cruz, yes? My kid will be going there next year. Maybe we can meet up. xo

Linda said...

Max - Linda Burstyn here. We should get together and I would be happy to tell you more about your dad, too. Or call. Anytime. Xxx

Randy Farber said...

Max,

Your Dad and I went to school together from Junior High through UCLA. He performed our wedding and gave the eulogy at my Mom's funeral. Your Dad had too many friends to say that I was among his closest, but we had a connection that lasted decades; whether we saw each other frequently (as during the school days) or rarely (as after the three of you were born!), whenever we got together, we fell right back into that tight bond.

No father could have been more in love with his children than he was with all of you. I'm happy to share stories as well. my email is farberconsulting@gmail.com

Randy Farber

Randy Farber said...

Max,

Your father and I went to school together from 7th grade through UCLA; I probably still have letters from him from his time in Law School. He had too many friends for me to claims "best" status, but we were close (he officiated our wedding and delivered the eulogy at my Mother's funeral). Happy to share all I know about one of the most genuinely good humans to ever grace the planet.

Randy Farber
(farberconsulting@gmail.com)

Rebel Girl said...

Hi Randy!

I don't know you but am so gald you have a find friend like Eric in common. Thanks for reaching out and sharing. I will see if I can track Max down via FB where I am friends with his mother. take care - Lisa Alvarez

Rebel Girl said...

PS: Eric Zucker was one of the best people I have ever known.

Rebel Girl said...

FYI: Here's a memorial video about Eric that I found on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-j7nNM0qno&t=117s

Randy Farber said...

Rebel Girl,

I agree with you; he was the best. I used to say that most of us live our lives in prose; Eric lived his in poetry. We had some funny capers in Junior High and High School, then real life started. We shared a lot of the journey in our 20's when he lost both parents. I moved away for work and Eric and Donna started their family so there was less time, but whenever we were together, we picked up right from where we left off. He had an uncanny ability to make deep connections with others, almost immediately.

His untimely loss was staggering and a sad echo of his mother's passing. He would said of her death, "It's not that there is a black hole where she used to be, but a bright light in my life has been extinguished." His passing was the same.

Thanks for posting these items; I'm glad I came across it!

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...