Saturday, October 27, 2007

Worse than the fire (fire news)

Tonight, we got together for the first time since the fire. The Reb wanted to give her Lake Forest friend, with whom she has been staying, a break for one evening, so she suggested that we all go out to dinner.

Sounds good. But where? Well, anywhere will do. Oddly, this group of vegetarians opted for the Outback, an Aussie steakhouse on Culver.

I like the Brisbane salad, OK?

LIMBER LOU showed up all tuckered out from a long day of B-Day parties and vagabondery. Even the "Bloomin' onion" didn't excite him.

He didn't really come alive until I brought out my Nikon, at which time he stuck big chunks of Aussie bread sidewise in his mouth, all for my benefit.

I obliged by taking pics. Reb frowned. Red smiled a subtle smile.

Something told me not to show those pics here. I'm no fool.

THE REB finally explained to me why she opted not to evacuate (on Monday) to my place in Trabuco Canyon. She went to her friend's house in Lake Forest instead.

What's up with that?

"I just knew," she said, "that your canyon would be next."

"Well, I sure as hell didn't know. How did you know?" I said.

I looked at Red. He shrugged.

"I just knew," said Reb.

We all nodded. Can't argue with that.

It seems likely that I will be allowed to return to my place before Reb and her brood can return to theirs, and so I will provide refuge for them after all! I'm glad.

We had a great time trading tales of smoke and dread and absurdity.

At one point, we observed, with pride, that "ours is the best blog in the land."

"Here here!" Clunk went our glasses of beer.

EVENTUALLY, Red Emma explained that he had to go home to grade some student papers.

He suddenly seemed overcome with consternation.

"What's wrong, Red?" I asked.

"It's those student papers."

"Waddabout them?"

"Oh, it's just that I'm gonna tell those students that their goddam papers are worse than the fire."

AFTERWARD, I visited my brother's home, where the Wheeler elders are staying for now (I'm staying with a friend).

As usual, Adam and Sarah were cute and wonderful. "Uncle Chunk! Uncle Chunk! Read us a story!"

And I did.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

And a curious peace descends again, punctuated by the demands of the quotidian.

Troubles such as these certainly put all else into perspective, don't they.

Anonymous said...

Reassuring news, Chunk. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't want to read student papers either given our proudly defiantely illiterate drooling non-intellectual video-game-brained-drained youth of today.

I think they are a bunch of assholes.

Anonymous said...

I, too, ever so deeply empathize with Red E's reluctance to go to those papers. There is NOTHING that I hate worse than grading----well, unless it is the hurt surprise on their faces, later, at receiving (undeserved) C's for papers full of sentence fragments, non sequiturs, and absurd tyos such as "casual determinism." Sometimes I think they have no brains at all. A big sigh in solidarity with RE and all of us with grading to do....

Anonymous said...

...drooling, non-intellectual, video-game-brain-drained...

Well you need to teach some night classes where the clientele is a bit more motivated. And, I might add, it is your job to change them. Students do not arrive at college intellectuals, but they are supposed to guaduate as intellectuals. Get to work!

Bohrstein said...

"for papers full of sentence fragments, non sequiturs, and absurd tyos such as "casual determinism.""

Well done.

It's always nice to know our teachers are there for us.

Anonymous said...

Gee, guys, calm down. I think Red was making a JOKE.

Anonymous said...

I think Red's under a lot of stress. Give him a break. I'm sure the papers will look better in the morning.

Anonymous said...

You got me there, Bohrstein--embarrassing! But at least it wasn't a formal paper submitted for a grade in a college classroom. (And I mean that those papers are FULL of typos--to the tune of about 10 per page.!)

But I should've caught it, anyway.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...