Friday, October 20, 2006

A lovely day out at the college

Some of the folks over at Facilities & Maintenance put on a college-wide BBQ lunch today, and that was very nice of 'em. The event was a success.

At noon, Karima and I headed in the general direction of BBQ aroma waftage, which, plan-wise, wasn't too sharp. But then we ran into Darryl, who put on quite a show being the official TAXI MAN, taxiing people to the big event, which turned out to be way out there in the new F&M yard.

That Darryl, he's a real natural. I'm glad he's got something to fall back on, if'n his administrative gig doesn't pan out.

Here are Bea and Karima, getting the full-on Mr. D taxi service. In the middle of all that, for some reason Darryl told me I'd better spell his name right.

"OK," I said.

The weather was perfect, and people were obviously having a good time. Me too.

Wayne was kind enough to give me a tour of the new F&M facilities. He's pretty proud of 'em, and no wonder. It all looks first rate to me, but whadoo I know?

The new buildings looked very sharp, inside and out.


Tony did a great job at the BBQ. But that's a little like a deaf man saying, "Darling, your voice is lovely," since I'm a vegetarian, and I didn't touch the BBQed stuff.

Tony's voice is lovely, though.

On my way out, I ran into these two guys intensely working out some BIG MOVE on the violin. Now that's pretty exotic, at least here in Irvine, where you're more likely to see guys intensely working...--well, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen anybody intensely working on anything here in Irvine, so this was a real first.

The notorious (celebrated?) Mr. Mark M may be a Republican, but he sure has some great kids. [CORRECTION: I'm told that Mark is a Libertarian, not a Republican. I'll take the high road and not mention who he voted for in 2004, though.] I found one of 'em hangin' around near my office, eating chocolate. I asked him, "What're you doin'?" He said: "Just eatin' chocolate."

Here's yet another son 'o' Mark. I almost quizzed him on Adam Smith, but then I thought better of it.

Seems like, around here, we've just got the best looking kids on the planet. I ain't lyin'.

At the BBQ, Donna commented on how beautiful my niece and nephew are (I guess she looks at the blog sometimes). And do you think I contradicted her? I did not. Nor am I likely to. But those two weren't at school today, so I guess I should just drop it.

Here's another shot of Mark's chocoholic kid. His teeth are cleaner this time.

Do have a nice weekend.

Site Meter

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ray, there is nothing with Republicans. We actually can win elections.

Anonymous said...

CHUNK,DID WAYNE SHOWED YOU WERE HE FOUND THE CONDOM???

Anonymous said...

WHAT HAPPENED TO S.W. THE GROUNDSKEEPER, WE WANT TO KNOW HIS SIDE OF THE STORY, OR IS HE JUST A MADE UP CHARACTER IN THE CONDOM CAPER??

Anonymous said...

Mr. S is a real person. If Mr. S wants to tell his side of the story, nothing prevents him from doing so here.

Rebel Girl said...

12:02:

In truth, Wayne was very polite and genuinely proud of F&M's new digs.

I've gotta give him credit for being very professional in all his dealings with me.

We're on the holiday bash organizational committee together, and he's been perfectly friendly to me and easy to work with.

I do hope that he can come to some kind of harmonious relationship with his employees.

Anonymous said...

I guess WAYNE swept you of your feet CHUNK?

Anonymous said...

Let's hear wayne's side of the story...

Anonymous said...

Umm, you forgot to mention how many of WW's people showed up for the food, lets see, can you say two, and one was cooking, how many people work for him...

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...