Saturday, October 28, 2006

For one night, good teachers are fabulous

SADDLEBACK'S NORM WESTON IS A FINALIST


OK, so last night I attended the "2007 OC Teachers of the Year" event, held at the swankular Grand Ballroom of the Disneyland Hotel in beautiful downtown Anahelium. At least, that's what I remember doing. I remember large chandeliers high above me. Raghu shook my hand. Mickey danced. Minnie flirted. Was it a dream?

No. There were rich people who showed up to witness their own beneficence. They seemed sincere. But wasn't it 2006, not 2007? It's all so unreal!

I seem to recall talking with an attractive woman. She handed me her card. "OK," I said.


The Masters of Ceremony were real professionals: actor William Allen Young (evidently, he's been on CIS: Miasma and Nip/Tuck) and Maria Hall-Brown (Gawd, she's on the Real Orange!). They stunned me with their ability to savor the sagacity of cliches for three solid hours! "How true!" they'd sigh, heads shaking.

Believe in yourself! Dream big! Play your guitar! Question! Wonder! Dance!

I remember a busty blond who evidently teaches little kids about something. I forget what. The attractive woman to my left said something snide. I smiled. "I'm kinda deaf," I said. "Blah blah blah," she answered. We laughed.

"More champagne?" More laughter.

Saddleback College's Norm Weston was a finalist. They showed a little movie about him. He's casual, yet strict. He knows his stuff. Prez M made an appearance. He looks much better in person, I thought.


The real Rich patted my shoulder. What does that mean? Am I marked for death?

I saw friends from the past: Cely Mora, Kathie Hodge, Wilford Brimley. I was transported to another time--to Villa Park High School, 1972, looking up at the stage, watching "Up With People," wondering how it was possible to be so young and yet so Osmond.

I recall speaking with one of the Heinz 57 honorees, our former Logic instructor, who recently snagged a full-time job up the road. "So, does your dept. chair get any reassigned time?" I asked.

YES OF COURSE. ARE YOU KIDDING?

And Mickey. And Minnie. Dancing! With Peter Morrison! (That could only be a dream. I am certain of it.)

"You'll see," said Gwen. "You'll watch the show and tears will form. It's moving!"

I waited for tears, but all I got was kicks under the table. "Be good!", they said.

And I was. In fact, I am always good.

But, in all sincerity, I'm glad that, in this county, owing to a rich couple, good teachers are celebrated and given an opportunity to experience fabulous cash prizes and 15 seconds of fame.

And to dance with flirtatious Minnie and spout cliches to the rhythm of rubber chickens, fake Jazz, and hurried ersatz fabulousness.

But, really, it was fun. And I mean that.

Site Meter

WHAT'S "UP WITH PEOPLE"? (YOU ASK)

The 60s produced the "counterculture." That in turn produced various reactions, e.g., Up with people

"The happiest most hard-hitting way of saying what America's all about that I have ever seen or heard."

--Walt Disney, on the cover of "Up With People" (the album; 1966)
Up! Up! with people!
You meet 'em wherever you go!
Up! Up! with people!
They're the best kind of folks we know.
If more people were for people,
All people ev'rywhere,
There'd be a lot less people to worry about,
And a lot more people who care!
--Everything UP WITH PEOPLE

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you have all the fun, Chunk. Why are you so special anyhow?

Anonymous said...

Checkout this site: socccd.blogspot.com for more source of humor.

Anonymous said...

Good teachers are fabulous and should always be valued and celebrated. I can think of no more demanding or important profession. That is why I am a teacher/professor and why I intend to run for the board in 2008 against T. F.

Rebel Girl said...

4:25

Good for you.

As you know, running someone against Mr. Fuentes is no light or easy matter. You need every advantage, including, of course, a strong candidate.

The faculty union interviews candidates when the time comes to run against an unwanted (and defeatable) trustee. You might want to contact the SOCCCD "Faculty Association." They can be found in either college's website.

Anonymous said...

Blecccchhhh

Anonymous said...

Saddleback faculty, staff and administrators do read this Blog.

Thanks, Chunk.

Anonymous said...

Did you get FLEX credit for that Chunk?

A rubber chicken at least?

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...