Wednesday, November 23, 2005

WHAT KINDA GUY DOES SOMETHIN' LIKE THAT?

I left the last Board Meeting early, at about 9:30, and so I missed the fireworks that occurred during its last hour. As I reported on the 15th and 16th, Tracy Daly, the district's irrepressible Director of Marketing and Public Affairs, was grilled that night by the Board re her (and the Chancellor's) request for $229,830 basic aid dollars for IVC and SC marketing, outreach and recruitment.

That wasn't pleasant. Tracy took some heat from skeptical trustees, especially Wagner and Fuentes. But at least Mathur spoke up to defend the request. It had his name on it, not just hers.

Today I ran into a friend who witnessed the part of the meeting that I missed. I mentioned that I thought things were getting a bit unpleasant re the request for marketing moola.

She said: "That was nothing! You shoulda seen what happened later!"

She told me that, during the last part of the meeting, Tracy was again grilled, only this time things got really hot. The grillage concerned item 43, revision of the district "logo/graphic identity."

My friend reports that some of the Trustees were peeved about the item. How come we're changing our logo? We never asked for that! How come the mountains on this logo are too big?

--That sort of thing, she said. The 'Tees were generally miffed. Maybe not all of 'em. Like I said, I wasn't there.

But, sheesh. Talk about your micromanagement!

Evidently, Tracy took ALL of the heat for the perceived impudence or effrontery, or whatever it was, that the trustees saw in Tracy's logo revision activity.

Now get this: I have it on very good authority that, in fact, Chancellor Mathur was up to his eyeballs in the logo revision project! Without doubt, he knew about it and gave it his "OK"!

Like I said, Tracy took the heat, and there was a lot of it blastin' her way.

Did Chancellor Mathur speak up on Tracy's behalf? Did he stop everybody to say, "Wait a minute, I OKed this thing, so leave this gal alone!"?

He did not. He just sat there, watchin' Tracy's body jerk around as it was machine-gunned with bullets of bombast.

--You know, like at the end of Bonnie and Clyde. Only without Clyde.

Now tell me! What kinda guy does somethin' like that? --CW

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, Chunk, I do like your logo idea. Your words are good, but your logo, well, that's somethin' I can really appreciate.

Anonymous said...

What could either college do with $229K? Like, wow, we could pay for matriculation tests, hire some folks to meet and greet students during the critical days of registration and the first week of each semester.

We saw a presentation by Tracy regarding the redesign of the logo. A student at the presentation said, after Tracy invited commets, that the new logo looked like "clip art." Now there is a real damnation. But then doesn't the chancellor sometimes look like clip art?

Anonymous said...

A hideous, cowardly, class-less guy does somethin'
like that. He's consistent in his viciousness, that's
for sure.

Your pal,
Jasper

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...