Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Irvine Valley College student appointed to committee by President Obama

UPDATE:  please see Is Potter an IVC student yet?

Presidential announcement

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
November 04, 2011

PRESIDENT OBAMA ANNOUNCES MORE KEY ADMINISTRATION POSTS
. . .
Lauren Elizabeth Potter, Appointee for Member, President’s Committee for People with Intellectual Disabilities

Lauren Elizabeth Potter is a cast member on the FOX television program Glee where she plays the part of Becky Jackson. Ms. Potter also serves on the Board of Best Buddies International, has participated in the Abilitypath.org campaign against bullying, partnered with the Special Olympics in their “End the Word” campaign, and is currently lending her name and fame to numerous organizations, including the Down Syndrome Association and the American Association of People with Disabilities. Her disability rights advocacy has earned her awards from The Down Syndrome Association of Los Angeles, the Arc, and the Full Life Festival. Ms. Potter is a graduate of Polytechnic High School in Riverside, California and she is currently a student at Irvine Valley College.

• "Glee" star Lauren Potter has had enough of the R-word
• Becky on "Glee"

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool!

Anonymous said...

This is great. What an honor.

Anonymous said...

I met Lauren on the bus we both take, being an IVC student myself. She looked familiar but I couldn't place her face. Good for her!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what I like best - that she is on Glee or that she's on a presidential commission. (Just kidding.) It's all cool.

Anonymous said...

I like hearing about our students' achievements. Often the range of recognition is quite narrow. This is an extraordinary accomplishment. Congratulations to Lauren.

Anonymous said...

Quite a honor.

Anonymous said...

I think this is pretty big news.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Glee. I didn't know she was a student here.

Anonymous said...

This is the kind of news should be on that electronic sign out front.

Anonymous said...

You would think the college would acknowledge this appointment somehow...I am surprised they haven't sent out an announcement about it. Seems like a big oversight.

Anonymous said...

Good point, 8:06.

I was thinking along the same lines. Sometimes I get upwards of 4-6 announcements a day about one thing or another from Diane Oaks or Glen or the district. And I do read them. They tout one accomplishment after another. But why the silence on this one?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Riverside... Perhaps she was sought out and recruited to IVC for the fame factor?

I do recall Obama poking fun at the handicapped on the Letterman show, why she would go to work for that administration boggles the mind...

Anonymous said...

Oh I think it's the usual petty Republican mindset that permeates the college and district...you know.

Anonymous said...

I thought of that too but I didn't want to say it. I and another theory as well but I don't want to say that either.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the same petty and cynical mindset expressed by 9:27.

Roy Bauer said...

See new post: Is Potter an IVC student yet?

Anonymous said...

Ah ha! So 9:27 was correct!

Roy Bauer said...

3:03, nothing revealed here verifies anything 9:27 said. You don't read very carefully, do you?

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...