Thursday, June 2, 2011

My morning in Szczecin (Stettin)

On "Chobry Seabank," near the Oder River

This is the Old Town Hay Market, near the harbor. My mother's father had a trucking business that would have taken him here many times. (Podzamcze)

The interior of the Archdiocese Basilica of St. James, built between 1250-1300 on the site of an older church.

Looking to the ceiling


This workers union is revered in Poland


I believe that this is part of the complex of the Pomeranian Dukes' Castle


My mother was keen to see the "Rosengarten" district, where she was born, but our tour guide, despite having lived in and around the city since 1946 (he's about 69), had no notion what "Rosengarten" could be, aside from an actual "rose garden" park—which, in fact, seems to have no connection to this district or street. 
I did a little research and I think I have established that there once was a Rose Garden Strasse in the city (see above); and it is now called Podgórna. Evidently, most of its buildings were destroyed at the end of the war (along with most of Stettin), but the street remains, with a new name.

By my reckoning, the "Victory Palace" is nearby. (It is now called the "Red Town Hall.")

Aha! I found this 1910 map of Stettin which clearly shows a Rosengarten Strasse (see green) precisely where the present Podgorna St. is found. Tomorrow, I'll take my mom there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stunningly beautiful places and photos. Thanks, BvT.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...