Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Things I learned today

They're all about leadership
     Things I learned today about last night’s reversal of Glenn & Co’s “no tenure” recommendation regarding Amy Grimm (Art History) and Susan Boettger (Keyboard):

  • Some people in IVC’s music department are hopping mad. (I have direct knowledge of this.)
  • Glenn & Co. utterly screwed the pooch. There are clear indications that one or some among them never read, um, certain files. They were caught with their pants down.
  • The board was not particularly impressed by the show of support for the probies (especially Amy Grimm) by colleagues, students, et al.; they responded essentially to the two union officers’ assertions regarding failures of process.
  • If such failures of process did indeed occur (as seems to be the case), Glenn & Co. have no one to blame but themselves. (But, given their natures, you can bet they’ll blame others.)
  • At least one trustee explained today that the board found it difficult to go against the recommendation of the Chancellor and IVC President; but they felt compelled to do so by the evident failure, in these instances, to follow the defined process, including development of plans of remediation for alleged failings.


You got a lotta nerve
To say you are my friend
When I was down
You just stood there grinning
You got a lotta nerve
To say you got a helping hand to lend
You just want to be on
The side that’s winning
You say I let you down
You know it’s not like that
If you’re so hurt
Why then don’t you show it
You say you lost your faith
But that’s not where it’s at
You had no faith to lose
And you know it
I know the reason
That you talk behind my back
I used to be among the crowd
You’re in with
Do you take me for such a fool
To think I’d make contact
With the one who tries to hide
What he don’t know to begin with
You see me on the street
You always act surprised
You say, “How are you?” “Good luck”
But you don’t mean it
When you know as well as me
You’d rather see me paralyzed
Why don’t you just come out once
And scream it
No, I do not feel that good
When I see the heartbreaks you embrace
If I was a master thief
Perhaps I’d rob them
And now I know you’re dissatisfied
With your position and your place
Don’t you understand
It’s not my problem
I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment
I could be you
Yes, I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
You’d know what a drag it is
To see you
Copyright © 1965 by Warner Bros. Inc.; renewed 1993 by Special Rider Music

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the faculty union reps were at their best last night. Thank them when you see them.

I heard Glen told people that Amy hadn't written any curriculum during the last four years! How could he say that?

Anonymous said...

Hey - isn't there an Open Forum at IVC this week with the President?

Anonymous said...

The IVC forums are this week tomorrow and Thursday:

Wednesday, February 27, 2013, from 1:00-2:30 pm

Thursday, February 28, 2013, from 10:00 – 11:30 am

A-100 lobby!

Anonymous said...

I find it increasingly difficult to believe much of what Glenn and Craig say. I would love to hear either or both of them say "I'm sorry" or "We messed up."

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone who showed up Monday night will show up to one or another of these forum. You don't have to say anything (you said it Monday night.) Just show up. See what they say. This was a pretty big victory folks. We need to remember that. They need to remember that.

Anonymous said...

The implementation of TRCs has created a huge workload for all involved, but as Kathy and Lewis so ably pointed out, now that we have a process for tenure review, we must honor it. Part of the responsibility — and most of the time commitment — must rest with the TRCs.

I don't think we can lay the responsibility for what is obviously an embarrassing situation solely on the administration. I agree that administrators are responsible for evaluating TRC recommendations and justifications, but it seems to me that faculty, as discipline experts in conjunction with their deans, bear the responsibility for due process issues such as noting perceived deficiencies, documenting, them, creating — with the person evaluated — plans for remediation, and, based on suggestions for remediation, mentoring candidates.

Anonymous said...

Still waiting for that congratulatory email...

Anonymous said...

Glenn congratulated all the tenured faculty at the open forum. Amy Grimm was sitting in the front row right in front of Craig....ya gotta love it!

Anonymous said...

That's great! I hope he had some other words to say as well, perhaps privately, like, "I'm sorry." It's also mentioned in the board highlights sent out yesterday. But I do recall in the past a congratulatory college-wide email was sent out as well...

Anonymous said...

About your first bullet point: Yes, for years I've experienced a few angry individuals over there, big time! What's with these people?

Anonymous said...

This is an an opportunity for self-reflection for some people, if they can take it. Too bad the admin and others didn't heed concerns sooner about how the tenure process was being manipulated and distorted - they could have avoided the showdown that was. They assumed the board would do what they were told - even if they were not told the whole truth. Glen had many opportunities to slow this down or turn it around - but he kept going forward - waist deep in the muddy Muddy and the big fool said to push on. And still even now he won;t say he should have done anything different. he won't admit this to anyone. It would go a long way to begin to build some trust and credibility if he would. Now he has damaged it further on both sides - faculty and staff on one side -and the board on the other.

By the way, did Glen's friend get tenure? Any hiccups in the original hiring process or the tenure review? Or did Glen and Kianah recuse themselves from all of that sop there was no conflict of interest when their friend was hired? Do any trustees pay attention to these kind of fascinating details? I hope so. It tells a great deal about character and management style.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...