Monday, November 14, 2011

Rebel Girl's Poetry Corner: "A book is a valued art object here."


At the University College of North Wales at Bangor
by Gerald Locklin

Most of my students here are very poor.

I seldom see them in the pubs: they
Cannot really afford the prices.

As winter hits they have to decide whether
To spend their shillings on the coin-operated heaters
Or on food.

I suspect that heat often wins—you can
Freeze to death quicker than you will starve.

Their incentive is that they will presumably
Have more comfortable lives if they survive
The minimalist conditions of college.

The government gives them a small grant
From which to buy books.
We are encouraged to require
Very few books.

A book is a valued art object here.

I never hear a complaint here
And no one misses a tutorial
Without the most profuse and formal
Of apologies.

In California my students and I and everyone else,
Also including the movie stars and politicians and
Pro-athletes,

Seldom stop for breath
In the midst of a constant bitching.

*

Poet Gerald Locklin will read from his work on Wednesday November 16 at the Fullerton College Campus Theatre, 6:30-8:30. Tickets $6.50.

This event is part of their Visiting Writers series. For more information, click here.

*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this man!

Thanks for another wonderful poem, RG. I've said it before: if anyone can bring me around to appreciating and actually loving poetry, it's you.

MAH

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...