Monday, December 28, 2009

Incorrect IVC mascot suggestions

Fullerton Junior College cheerleaders, 1946. What's with those tobacco leaf pom-poms?

I recall this sentiment being expressed over the years. Now? Not so much.

Two or three months ago, I bought my first laptop—an expensive Mac—and it's just great, but it's also so new-fangled that it cannot deal with the (pre-OS X) version of Photoshop that I had been using. Well, today, I finally acquired a workable version of the program, and so I thought I'd fool around with it a bit.
Everybody knows that there's no truth whatsoever to that horrible stereotype of the Gypsies as, um, thieves.
Somebody oughta tell Wikipedia, which (in its article on "Romani people") refers to a 2006 study, involving 363 Gypsies (Romani), that “found results that placed participants in the IQ range of 70 (borderline mental retardation) and on the executive function tests at the level of a Serbian 10 year old.”
It goes on to assert that the “crime rate of Romani communities is highly disproportionate as well.”
Such incorrectitude!

How incorrect of me. I recall kids like this in high school, sans cellphones. (Apologies to Tom Tomorrow.)

As in "casual." Does anyone still say "cazgh"? Many of my students wrote about "casual determinism" on the final exam. I sometimes announce, "You don't want to confuse 'causal' with 'casual.'"
"What's the difference?" asks a student way in back.
And "Dick Hart" was a French philosopher, evidently.

OK, the "Aphids" aren't incorrect. Better than Anteaters though.

This alludes to South County's own Orly Taitz, queen of the "birthers"--you know: the people who think that citizen Obama isn't. She's a dentist.

This one's just to piss off trustee Tom Fuentes, is all. Students tend to be neither. They tolerate me. I appreciate that.

Just a suggestion. Graucho was pretty incorrect in his own day.
But, in a way, not.

Just added (1/14)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want Gypsies.

Anonymous said...

the aphids rule!!!

Anonymous said...

How about Saddleback North?

(obviously I'm a Saddleback type but I have taught classes at IVC)

Anonymous said...

I was a student at Saddleback North. What happened to the portables that were classrooms?

Roy Bauer said...

It hasn't been called "Saddleback North" since 1985. Temporaries at Irvine Valley College (an autonomous campus) come and go, but there must be twice the amount of permanent space now compared to twenty years ago. More.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...