Thursday, December 10, 2009

Holiday celebration at Irvine Valley College




This woman seemed to have some serious Christmas spirit.
She set an example for all of us!




They set it up inside the Performing Arts Center. I wonder who cleans the windows?
Here's Santa checkin' out one of his helpers.
On my way over to the PAC, a student told me, "You just missed it; the cops just arrested Santa."
"Yeah?" I said. Then I saw a police car zooming around to the back of the PAC. I guess Santa was getting a special sleigh ride.



The gathering as seen from atop the stairwell. It was still early: eventually every seat was taken.
No, really. It appeared to be a big hit. I even spotted Raghu.



That dang Santa has all the luck.



I think they were telling me to stop taking pictures, for Chrissake. "Siddown and have some chow, Camera Boy!"
Diane was saying something snarky fer sher. (You can see that.) But I just pointed to my ears and walked off before they started throwing food.



Top administrators were slingin' the turkey, or whatever it was.
Nice gesture, but they were in a lonely, empty room off to the side.
You can see Glenn trying to make contact with a distant human being.



Gwen said hello to the cute kid while Santa and Glenn (I think) did that Pink Floyd burning man trick.
It was very dramatic and popular, a new tradition, I'm sure.



There's Santa again, trollin' for babes. Some people were giving me the stink-eye.
I coulda used some sleep.



Sorry, Glenn, about the grimy hand. I've gotta start packin' handkerchiefs.
Dan seemed pleased about the whole business.



Glenn, Santa, Dave. A power trio, shooting out positive vibes.



Spotted this reindeer. As you know, both sexes sport large branching antlers. Don't wanna piss off a reindeer, nope. I'm Canadian, you know. Helped my dad shoot a moose once. Now I'm a vegetarian.







Dave and his reindeer.




Santa and mini-Santa









The last Pink Floyd album I bought. My bro Ray and I would put this song on the stereo and listen without comment, in silence. (Ray knew when to say nothing.) It seemed to be the background of our lives for a little while. Afterward, the band never seemed interesting to me anymore. Too successful for their own good, I think. But the memory remains. —RB

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your pics as always but what happened to Glen's face?

Anonymous said...

Did they pray before they ate the roast beast?

Anonymous said...

bad MEAT.

Roy Bauer said...

Nope, no prayers. Fuentes and Wagner weren't around to carp about it though.

Anonymous said...

I liked it when Tony was Santa and we got to sit on his motorcycle!

Anonymous said...

The expression on the face of the woman with her head on Santa's shoulders is the most beautiful thing I've seen this whole season.

Anonymous said...

Really lovely photos, Roy.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know the "hug" lady? She wanted a copy of the pic, so I gave her my email, but I haven't heard from her. -RB

Anonymous said...

What do you mean by "Glenn's face"? Seems same as always to me. I suspect that the sepia tone is more flattering to some than to others.

Anonymous said...

Roy, the persons name in the photo is Cindy. She has helped out in the bursars office for years when they get busy. Diana Walker can get you in contact with her or you can give the photo to Diana. I am so thrilled that you caught that moment on camera. Cindy is one of the most kind and loving individuals that I have ever met. She is a really special person. She has opened her home for years for college students to live and taken care of them like they were her own children. Thanks for giving her back a bit of that love and making the efforts to contact her so she can have a her own copy of that special moment you caught.

Anonymous said...

Geat pictures - as always.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...