Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Good Night: the fire is out there

AFTER THE LAGUNA FIRE, some 14 years ago, when we were almost burned out of our trailer home, I had trouble sleeping. I was haunted by the irrational fear that the fire would somehow "come back." Some of that lingers. I should be sleeping but I can't. The fire is out there. Even if it's not burning my house, it is burning someone else's.

Intrepid local reporter MJF chides us for not seeking out the wonderful coverage the Orange County Register has been providing online. In truth, I have sought it out --and then measured it against the OCFA reports and other sources to see what I could see. I am wary. Skeptical.

But I didn't know they had MAPS! Online, updated, footnoted. They do. Tonight I found my neighborhood, my street, my house. According to the OC Register, I still have one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you compare the OC register's updates, which are not bad, but slow (considering how much changes while a fire is burning), with San Diego's, its really amazing. San Diego's got a radio station that's updating a google map regularly here and best of all a constant twitter update here.

I really like the latter -- you can check it from anywhere.

I'm annoyed at how many services depend on the telephone -- if you can't hear, you're up a creek. The google maps and twitter are available to everyone. I want to push OC register, or some radio station, or even the Orange County Sheriff's dept -- they should be able to assign some Reserve personnel to this -- to do something along these lines. The OC register map is useful, but they only seem to update it once a day (!)

Jammie J. said...

I know what you mean, I feel the same way.

Leightongirl said...

Can you post some links for the rest of us?

Anonymous said...

I would love a link to those specific maps. I can't find them.

I would really like to know about the Children's Center. I heard a rumor that the school still stands but the Center has burned down. I would like to know more.

Thanks for all your updates L.

- K (B's mom :))

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...