Thursday, April 12, 2007

Gem or turd, it'll be a landmark

·
TOOK MY CAMERA TO WORK TODAY. I figured I'd take some new snaps of the Irvine Valley College Performing Arts Center. It's still under construction, but it should be completed in a few months.

You know how people are: they see some big new thing, and so they naturally offer their opinion about its appearance. You don't have to ask 'em for it. They'll give it to you anyway.

At IVC, everybody's got an opinion about this thing. Some like it. Some think it looks like a Best Buy.

Me, I kinda like it.

I admit that it looks kinda weird and edgy. But I like weird and edgy.

I'd have chosen a different color, but, hey, this will do.

Near as I can figure, the thing is gonna be way cool on the inside. My guess: it will be impossible to be unimpressed by its innards, whatever one may think of its lurid hide.

The dang thing better be good somehow, 'cause it's seriously big.

Turd or gem: it'll be a landmark.

Nothing's ever been big at IVC. At IVC, we've only known dinky. This is our first Big Thing.

My money's on this thing turning out well. Naysayers can go pound sand, I say. —CW

P.S.: OK, maybe it does look a little like a Best Buy. But people LIKE Best Buy, don't they?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pizza Hut. From the rear.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't the theater supposed to be another color?

I don't remember the red being so dominant.

Wasn't it supposed to be blue?

Anonymous said...

The theater was supposed to be painted a deep purple.

Anonymous said...

I like it, too. You see it's cool inside? Let's see that!

It'll be good for Irvine to have another venue like this. Not bad.

Anonymous said...

I think it's gorgeous, although I think that orange would've been nice, in remembrance of orange groves past. True, there's a passing resemblance to Best Buy--but that's to Best Buy's credit.

Cool photography as always, Chunk.

Anonymous said...

Circuit City.

Anonymous said...

Wasted money on a facility with little value.

Anonymous said...

You, 7:53, are invaluable to the community, though.

Roy's obituary in LA Times and Register: "we were lucky to have you while we did"

  This ran in the Sunday December 24, 2023 edition of the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register : July 14, 1955 - November 20, 2...